Tne Broadcasting Industrial Council (BiC)met on 21st May and discussed the Israeli boycott issue at length. Here are some notes from one of those present:
" BiC decided that
- the debate following the vote to boycott Israeli goods is an issue which the BiC takes a view on
- it feels that reform of the union's structures is needed so that chapels play a larger part at ADM as chapels are more representative of the members at large than branches are
- ADM should focus more on industrial relations in the media and the terms and conditions relating to journalists, including press freedom
- issues such as the boycott of Israeli goods are more problematic for broadcasting, as a sector, as we have many members working abroad and, in particular, in the Middle East
- the majority of broadcasting members who have communicated with the union on the boycott believe the action is a mistake ".